Re: Debian Project Leader Elections 2019: Call for nominations

On 14/03/19 at 12:21 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 7:05 AM Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
>
> > Also, from the DPL POV, it would be very useful to have an annual
> > report on Debian finances. I don't know if this exists nowadays.
>
> Some of the TOs have annual reports, the SPI one includes some details
> of Debian & DebConf money at SPI, including income, expenses and
> balance.
>
> https://spi-inc.org/corporate/annual-reports/2018.pdf

Yeah, but it's not very useful, because it's really far from providing
an annual breakdown such as:

Income
  Donations
    Individuals
    Companies
Expenses
  Sprints
  BSPs
  DebConf

> I figure one covering all of Debian's finances would have to come from
> Debian's treasurers but I don't know if they have enough data from the
> TOs yet.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Treasurer

One thing I realized quite late during my terms was that there are
actually two possible strategies here.

The first one is to trust TOs, request detailed accounting from them,
and then aggregate that to build a report. The problem with that is that
TOs have different QoS, and not all of them are able (AFAIK) to provide
sufficiently detailed information.

The second one (which requires more work on the Debian side) is to do
our own double-accounting, track all expenses, and track how they are
taken into account by TOs. Then for expenses the annual report could be
generated only from Debian data. Of course, there's still a problem with
income when it goes directly to the TO (e.g. donations using credit card
to SPI).

Ideally, the Treasurer team would do all the work of tracking expenses,
income, and generating such reports.

Lucas