Re: Debian Project Leader Elections 2019: Call for nominations

On 13/03/19 at 21:04 -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
> How much of the DPL's financial role can be delegated?
> I understand that for example absent instructions otherwise the DPL is
> our expendature approval point for SPI (and presumably the other trusted
> organizations).
>
> Would the governing procedures/bilaws/whatever of our trusted
> organizations permit a DPL to delegate some or all of this?
>
> To be clear, I think a DPL would have to be careful of this and for
> example arrange things so they were ultimately accountable for Debian
> assets.
> I'm just curious about the procedural limitations on the DPL from our
> constitution and the rules of organizations who hold our money.

Internally in Debian, it would probably be possible to identify specific
areas of expenses (sprints, BSPs, travel to other events, DSA
infrastructure, other hardware, DebConf) and delegate approval in each
of those areas to a specific person. 5.1.10 might be a small issue, but
I don't think that we should feel constrained by the constitution if
what we are trying to achieve makes sense.

Our TOs[1] each have their own bylaws, and a review would be needed to
understand if delegating approval works for them. But surely that could
be solved. (As an example, for Debian France, the "règlement
intérieur"[2] requires the DPL to make the decisions).

Another schema could be to have a two-phases approval, with the
Treasurer team reviewing the requests and giving a first ACK, and the
DPL giving a second ACK. That could be easily organized using a ticket
system such as RT.

We also already have a system in place to simplify expenses made by
DSA[3].

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Treasurer/Organizations
[2] https://france.debian.net/documents/RI_debian_france.pdf
[3] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2013/10/msg00001.html