Re: Q: NEW process licence requirements

On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 11:03:00PM +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> On 14993 March 1977, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>
> > As an example for a rule that does not make sense, recently a member of
> > the ftp team stated on debian-devel that the contents of NEW cannot be
> > made available to people outside the ftp team since it might not be
> > distributable, and that this is not expected to be changed.
>
> Like it or not, but there *is* a big difference in the project making
> something available for the big wide world (which a public NEW would
> be), or a user putting it somewhere readable for everyone even though
> the latter might be using project resources too.

What is the big (legal) difference between distributing something
from the Debian group on the Debian machine salsa.debian.org, and
distributing the same from a different Debian machine?

> Sure, this is an
> argument for making salsa restricted too and have NEW processing on any
> project there, and be safe(r). *I* dont want that

Someone uploads something to NEW, and Debian does currently not make it
available for the big wide world.
Someone uploads something to salsa, and Debian does make it available
for the big wide world.

Uploading to NEW is restricted to DDs.
Uploading to salsa is not restricted.

Since Debian distributing whatever random people upload to salsa
is fine for you, I fail to see the point why you would consider
distributing what is in the DD-only NEW a huge problem.

In a sidenote, the trivial way to solve "make the contents of NEW
available to more people" would be making the Vcs-Browser: link
available at [1] (it is already visible at the subpage for each package).
For the vast majority of packages in NEW, this will point to the Debian
machine that already makes the contents available for everyone.

> bye, Joerg

cu
Adrian

[1] https://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html