Q: NEW process licence requirements

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 09:58:16AM +0100, Chris Lamb  wrote:
> Just as one example, the NEW queue process certainly has some of these
> "Chesterton's Fences" [0] at the moment, and making it more transparent
> and descriptive in places would — even without changing any underlying
> process at all, which I do note is also being discussed — would vastly
> improve the sentiment about that.

As delegation the ftp team gets its powers directly from the DPL,
so (except for a GR) there is noone except the DPL with the power
to push for improvements.

A constant source of frustration is the intransparent licence
checking process in NEW, and intransparency regarding what the
ftp team considers mandatory for debian/copyright.

In real life most of us are used to having to comply with pointless
rules, and the motivation for doing so is the money we get.

In a volunteer project there is less incentive to follow rules that
appear to be pointless and only designed to create additional work,
set by people with absolute powers to enforce their decisions.

There is a real risk that people might be leaving the project out of
frustration caused by such intransparent decisions.

Some packages get rejected for reasons that appear to be arbitrary and
pointless, or there is nitpicking on things where it isn't clear for
what legal reason the ftp team requires these.

Other packages where even a cursory look at debian/copyright reveals
huge problems pass NEW with no complaints and in no time.

IMHO it would be good to have:
1. documented what exactly the requirements are for debian/copyright
2. documented for what legal reasons they are required
3. a clear rule that the above is applied to all packages without any
   exceptions

Do you agree that this would be desirable?

If yes, what would you consider a reasonable schedule for the ftp team
delegation to provide and implement this?

Thanks
Adrian

BTW: When I use the word "appear" this means that something is
     perceived as being this way, and it is possible that there
     is a good reason that is just not communicated properly.

- --

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed