Re: having public irc logs?

Hello Chris!
>Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

lol, apologies not accepted :p
The new queue is nearly empty, so thanks to all of you ftpmasters!

>Personally, I wouldn't say "most conversations" here, but I am
>trying to avoid this conversation becoming a debate on the minutiæ…

yeah, I might have written something like
"a lot of useful conversations" :)

>I would concede that that there are some advantages to having public
>IRC logging, but I don't see anywhere near enough advantage to warrant
>the Leader pushing it as a policy, as well as many disadvantages and,
>naturally, an extremely high switching cost.

this is a valid point, thanks

>This is despite me veing very much in favour of asking questions in
>public — which admittedly isn't exactly same as logging — even going
>so far as to write a blog post about it:
>
>  https://chris-lamb.co.uk/posts/dont-ask-your-questions-in-private

nice reading, thanks for sharing it!

>Did you have specific types of conversations in mind when you addressed>your question? Perhaps ensuring those become transparent in another way

>would assuage your concerns.

As said, a lot of times I have to read #-ftp #-buildd #-logs and maybe #-devel-changes
(or whatever is called).

e.g. bugs on #-devel-changes are useful to have a track of new bugs, new unblock requests
(during freeze times), or just to know which packages have interest in the community.

#-ftp is a nice place to know how dak is happy (and yeah, probably such logs are useful in
a context of some hours after somebody wrote that stuff)
same for #-buildd, to know chroot issues, or toolchain related sadness (e.g. all the recent
binutils failures on mips/powerpc)

#-release... well it is our main goal to release, so reading conversations there is a must for us :p

(also, I can know how fast I have to fix RC bugs, or see opinions by our RT team on various
topics).

thanks

Gianfranco