Re: Proposed GR: State exception for security bugs in Social Contract clause 3

On Monday, January 09, 2017 09:00:58 PM Russ Allbery wrote:
> Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> writes:
> > On Monday, January 09, 2017 07:08:19 PM Sean Whitton wrote:
> >> === BEGIN GR TEXT ===
> >>
> >> Title: State exception for security bugs in Social Contract clause 3
> >>
> >> 1. Debian has a longstanding practice of sharing information about
> >>
> >>    serious security bugs with only the security team.  This is so that
> >>    they can co-ordinate release of the information with other vendors.
> >>
> >> 2. The third clause of our Social Contract says that "We will not hide
> >>
> >>    problems."  However, the practice of embargoing information about
> >>    serious security bugs could be seen as the hiding of problems.
> >>
> >> 3. Resolve to append the following to clause 3 of the Social Contract:
> >>     An exception is made for serious security problems.  Information
> >>     about these may be kept confidential for a limited period of time,
> >>     so that a release of information may be co-ordinated with other
> >>     vendors.
> >>
> >> === END GR TEXT ===
> >
> > What is the definition of serious and what is the definition of limited?
>
> My preference would be to just reuse the distros disclosure policy, as
> that's been hashed out in public among the security community and is used
> by all the various Linux distributions.

>     Please note that the maximum acceptable embargo period for issues
>     disclosed to these lists is 14 to 19 days, with embargoes longer than
>     14 days (up to 19) allowed in case the issue is reported on a Thursday
>     or a Friday and the proposed coordinated disclosure date is thus
>     adjusted to fall on a Monday or a Tuesday. Please do not ask for a
>     longer embargo. In fact, embargo periods shorter than 7 days are
>     preferable. Please notify upstream projects/developers of the affected
>     software, other affected distro vendors, and/or affected Open Source
>     projects before notifying one of these mailing lists in order to
>     ensure that these other parties are OK with the maximum embargo period
>     that would apply (and if not, then you may have to delay your
>     notification to the mailing list), unless you're confident you'd
>     choose to ignore their preference anyway and disclose the issue
>     publicly soon as per the policy stated here.
>
> Note that this still lets you make exceptions if upstream wants a longer
> embargo period (by holding off on notifying distros and contacting other
> distributions out of band).  It's hard to make this decision in advance
> for everything; there are always challenging special circumstances.  (I as
> a DD would be fine with our security team making that call in exceptional
> situations.)
>
> I don't think there's much point in defining serious.  If we have a
> disclosure policy, then it doesn't matter as much.

I don't think this sort of thing is amenable to being specifically defined in
a way that's really suitable for foundational documents.  Has anyone ever
seriously questioned the appropriateness of the Security Team's practices
based on the Social Contract?

I don't think we should be monkeying with the Social Contract to solve a non-
problem.

Scott K