Re: Proposed GR: Repeal the 2005 vote for declassification of the debian-private mailing list

Anthony Towns <aj@erisian.com.au> writes:

> Keeping things secret is definitely a human tendency, but it's not
> generally a good one. Sometime it's the best of bad options -- giving
> developers time to release fixes to security problems vs immediate
> disclosure, is a trivial example; but I honestly can't think of anything
> related to Debian that warrants more than a few years of temporary
> secrecy.

This honestly comes across to me very much like "if you aren't doing
anything wrong, you don't have anything to hide."

Privacy is a human need.  It's not a bug.

> Both those problems ("casual searchability" and "not having to
> immediately deal with reactions") seem solved by delayed
> publication.

They really aren't.  The delayed reactions aren't necessarily any better
than the reactions in the moment, and searchability works just fine with
older material.

> I really do appreciate the desire to avoid overwrought criticism, a la
> the systemd nonsense, or just regular modern day social media dogpiles,
> but ultimately, as a project Debian's meant to be accountable to our
> users and the free softare community, and for that to happen we can't
> hide our discussions from them, even if that does mean having to develop
> thick enough skins to cope with nonsense.

I think you are treating Debian like a public charitable foundation and
I'm treating Debian like a community, and from that we're arriving at much
different conclusions.