Re: Proposed GR: Repeal the 2005 vote for declassification of the debian-private mailing list

Le dimanche, 11 septembre 2016, 11.01:09 h CEST Anthony Towns a écrit :
> In that sense, my reading of the original version of the GR that just
> failed was pretty much "eh, we don't care that much about transparency
> when it comes to ourselves and it's time we admit that". Which is fine,

I supported the previous GR, and will second Gunnar's, not because I think "we
don't care much about transparency", but rather because I think time has now
shown that the process as decided in 2005 was unrealistic and impractical.

I now also tend to think that we, as a collection of individuals, also need
some sort of "safe space" to discuss certain things, that can't be public.
Some of these things can't immediately be public, and some other things can't
ever. Separating both is a herculean task, which is why I'm not suprised noone
has really started, especially not within the 2005 GR canvas. d-private can
only be a good safe-space if its privacy promise will hold forever.

In short, I see value in having the projet say "d-private is our internal
communication channel; it's an explicit step away from our transparency
promise, but we value its importance as a safe-space for our members, and as a
medium to discuss sensitive and/or private topics. We promise (and have all
members as testimonials) to restrict it's usage to topics that really need to
be private"

    OdyX