Re: Amendment to Proposed GR: Declassifying parts of -private of historical interest

On Sun, Aug 07, 2016 at 03:45:12PM +0000, Bart Martens wrote:
> debian-private might make. You've proven that point today on debian-private.

Which is either a leak of information, an argument that such a message
(if it exists) shouldn't have been on d-private in the first place or
you providing disinformation to the public by implying there exists
a message in a channel they can't access which doesn't exist in reality
but nobody can repel as saying that such a message doesn't exist is
leaking information by itself – all of which is in the end an argument
for declassification of messages to remove the mystery surrounding it.

Or as an "Explain like I'm Five" question: Why is the idea that
a process could be proposed by listmasters for declassification which
would be subject to review and with objection opportunity so frightening
given that declassification happens every day by individuals – without
review and without the possibility to object – via (accidental) leakage?

> > > I hope that everyone fully realizes that before voting.
> >
> > And I hope that, at one point, we as a project will learn to trust one another
> > and stop micro-managing people that actually want to get things done.
>
> It's really not about trust and micro-management, but about "what" we want do
> decide with this GR.
>
> For example, your two points quoted above could easily be included in a GR text
> using these phrases:
>
> - "The scope is limited to messages posted on debian-private before
>   debian-project was introduced." (And I have no strong opinion on whether this
>   should be included.)
> - "The consent of the original author of the message on debian-private is
>   required before declassification." (I think this should have been in.)

No, it couldn't because these are part of the "how" which will probably
be a mile long IF anyone is ever attempting to do declassification.

For example: "How" are you going to handle mails from people who have by
now passed away – or an author who is currently that ill that (s)he has
a guardian appointed to handle matters for him/her. And how is that
consent even given, verified and recorded… you would need to define all
these things or otherwise someone will end up asking a medium who can
talk to the dead for proxying the consent OR we need a GR to repel yours
with a no-mediums GR because the process outlined in your GR requires
consent, but doesn't forbid (specific) proxies giving it.

If on the other hand we say: Listmaster can come up with a proposal
which can be discussed and as ultima ratio vetoed by GR (or by DPL via
delegation revocation) we can adept as we go[0] with input from anyone
arriving eventually at a process which can a) work and b) nobody objects
to rather than after twenty-something GRs at a process which might work
and nobody objects to *enough* to have yet another GR about it.

[0] I think, but that is just personal opinion and guessing, to have
a realistic stab at declassifying at the very least the first few if not
all ever attempted declassifications will be around a single thread done
by human beings and the process hence tailored to the real needs of the
thread rather than a giant all-knowing fully-automated AI doing it for
all threads in a single pass, which is why the previous GR didn't work,
but just IMHO.

Besides, we talk about d-private. Nobody can honestly believe that an
unencrypted mail sent to ~1000 mail addresses is in any sense of the
word a secret that the public doesn't and will never know. The only
thing it real is: It is non-public archived (on Debian infrastructure…
I would actually be surprised if it couldn't be found somewhere else if
you look really hard for it as if it were really as private as suggested
it would be Debians version of revenge porn to publish it) and that only
because listmasters have chosen to make it so.

That isn't to say that anything posted there should be automatically
public – thinking mostly about VAC messages, expulsions or generic
issues of the day like DDs forming a fellowship (with a ring), forking,
resigning or any other real-world-leaks-into-my-Debian-time announcement
with the appropriated responses – but the idea that it is a safe haven
you can say anything on without risking that it will ever become public
knowledge is at the very least equally wrong. aka: d-private is Debians
archived online version of water-cooler talk. Sometimes, historically
significant things happen around the water-cooler, but most of the time…

Best regards

David Kalnischkies

"Three may keep a Secret, if two of them are dead."
 -- Benjamin Franklin