Re: General resolution: Changes to the Standard Resolution Procedure

Hi,

Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> Le lundi, 31 août 2015, 10.26:18 Axel Beckert a écrit :
> > Kurt Roeckx - Debian Project Secretary wrote:
> > > https://www.debian.org/vote/2015/vote_002
> >
> > Please either do not use the word combination "fencepost bug" at all
> > or explain its meaning.
>
> These words are in the original GR proposal [0], so this would need to
> be amended for clarity.

*sigh*

> I understand this "fencepost bug" to refer to the fencepost error [1],
> quoting Wikipedia:
>
> > A fencepost error (occasionally called a telegraph pole or lamp-post
> > error) is a specific type of off-by-one error.
[...]
> Is it clearer,

Yes.

> and enough for you,

I would have preferred if "off-by-one" would have been used instead of
"fencepost" as in the subject of the original GR proposal. That term
is later missing in the announcement by Kurt as well as on
https://www.debian.org/vote/2015/vote_002

"off-by-one" is very common, self-descriptive and well-known even
among non-native speakers. "fencepost" is not. At least I haven't
heard of that term in the 20 years of my CS career, nor does it show
up with "translate" nor does dict.leo.org know about it. (The latter
just pointed me to the political jokes. And that seemed to fit:
Sounded like the TC is the turtle on the fencepost.)

Well, I'm at least glad, that nobody intended to refer to political
jokes in a Debian GR.

> or would you like to propose a GR amendment?

As far as I understand this would mean proposing an alternative choice
for the voter. In that case, the damage is already done and cannot be
undone. This IMHO only makes sense if I'd propose different semantics.

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin