Re: General resolution: Changes to the Standard Resolution Procedure

Hi Axel,

(CC'ing aba, as GR proposer).

Le lundi, 31 août 2015, 10.26:18 Axel Beckert a écrit :
> Kurt Roeckx - Debian Project Secretary wrote:
> > https://www.debian.org/vote/2015/vote_002
>
> Please either do not use the word combination "fencepost bug" at all
> or explain its meaning.

These words are in the original GR proposal [0], so this would need to
be amended for clarity.

> As far as I could find out it refers to a political joke (!) in the
> USA comparing a "fencepost turtle" to e.g. George W. Bush or Sarah
> Palin. I don't think such a term is suitable for being used in a
> Debian GR.
>
> (In case I'm wrong with my interpretation of that term, it proves my
> point even more: Please either don't use it or explain it because the
> term is obviously unclear.)

I understand this "fencepost bug" to refer to the fencepost error [1],
quoting Wikipedia:

> A fencepost error (occasionally called a telegraph pole or lamp-post
> error) is a specific type of off-by-one error. The following problem
> illustrates the error:
>
> > If you build a straight fence 30 meters long with posts spaced 3
> > meters apart, how many posts do you need?
>
> The intuitive answer 10 is wrong. The fence has 10 sections, but 11
> posts.

Is it clearer, and enough for you, or would you like to propose a GR
amendment?

Cheers, OdyX

[0] [🔎] 20150826201241.GF9428@mails.so.argh.org">https://lists.debian.org/[🔎] 20150826201241.GF9428@mails.so.argh.org
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-by-one_error#Fencepost_error