Re: Q to all candidates: spending money

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 12:08:02PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@debian.org> [2015-03-12 10:16 +0100]:
> > All candidates: how will you reconcile that with the fact that the DPL
> > currently only has a limited vision of what funds are available, and how
> > they evolved over time?
>
> All candidates: what do you think about outsourcing some of the
> gruntwork related to accounting and treasury to professional
> agencies? The goal here would be to free up our volunteers to
> develop Debian and actually force us into more discipline.

My general rule on expenditure is:
1) Is it important that it happens?
2) Is the cost sensible?
3) What problems will we have if we don't spend the money?
4) If it was my /personal/ bank account, would I want to spend that
money?

If that all passes, then sure, let's spend it.

In this particular case, my main concern is that we don't have the input
data available to a bookkeeper, or accounting agency. What we're doing
isn't /that/ complicated in terms of finance, we don't have multiple
cost centres, or particular investment portfolios. I'd be more
sympathetic to funding someone (perhaps via an internship, or gap year
student who's going on to accountancy) to help set up a system so we can
track it easier, but only if we woudn't be wasting their time with them
simply pinging TOs for data, and not getting replies.

Neil