Re: Re-Proposal - preserve freedom of choice of init systems

On 17 October 2014 23:19, Simon Richter <Simon.Richter@hogyros.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 17.10.2014 22:13, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
>
>> I note that it was *not* possible to switch init systems in Wheezy in a
>> supported way (in particular sysvinit is essential and various things
>> get very unhappy if it gets uninstalled), but you seem to treat Jessie
>> as more problematic even though it allows switching init systems? How
>> come?
>
> I applaud the possibility to switch init systems.
>
>> And is "you cannot switch init systems (at all)" to "you cannot
>> switch init systems if you want to run <X>" a regression that takes away
>> choice?
>
> The regression comes in two forms:
>
> 1. "a package that is a dependency of a package that is a recommendation
> of a dependency of <X> requires the init system to be <S>".
>
> This requires manual intervention by the user if they do not want to
> switch init system. My laptop moved to systemd because I installed a
> Japanese input method which uses GTK, which depends on libcolord, which
> recommends colord, which indirectly depends on systemd.
>

>From multiarch and cross-building point of view library package must
not depend, and should not recommend, equivalent executable / runtime
packages.
(Although I can see the reasons behind marking colord m-a:foreign &
libcolord m-a:same with dependencies declared as they are now)

Also I think if "depends" exist one way between two packages, a
reverse "recommends" should not be allowed.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.