Re: Re-Proposal - preserve freedom of choice of init systems

Hi,

Simon Richter <Simon.Richter@hogyros.de> writes:
> On 17.10.2014 11:52, Marco d'Itri wrote:
>>> for 30 years so why are some people pushing _so hard_ to replace it NOW and by something
>>> as controversal as the systemd stuff.
>
>> A vocal minority and a lot of trolls do not make something
>> controversial.
>
> No, the majority disregarding the needs of the minority makes it
> controversial.
>
> Debian has always aimed to be the "universal" operating system and be
> inclusive of desktop users, system administrators and system builders at
> the same time.
>
> Debian "jessie" fails to work in several instances on my embedded
> systems where "wheezy" used to work. I'd call that a severe regression,
> however for some reason that no longer counts because the majority has
> no such issues.

Bugs happen with every release...

I note that it was *not* possible to switch init systems in Wheezy in a
supported way (in particular sysvinit is essential and various things
get very unhappy if it gets uninstalled), but you seem to treat Jessie
as more problematic even though it allows switching init systems? How
come?

And is "you cannot switch init systems (at all)" to "you cannot
switch init systems if you want to run <X>" a regression that takes away
choice?

Ansgar