Re: Re-Proposal - preserve freedom of choice of init systems

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 01:00:12PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Oct 17, Florian Lohoff <f@zz.de> wrote:
> > > A vocal minority and a lot of trolls do not make something
> > > controversial.
> > I havent found the mentioned minority you speak about?
> Probably because you appear to be in the middle of it...

You say vocal - Before this GR i have send 1 in word ONE mail prior
commenting the systemd issues on any debian mailinglist. Followed
by bug reporting 2 days ago.

So i am neither vocal nor part of any group beeing called minority.

> > Because of pressure of other upstreams going forward everyone adopted it
> > and this makes it non controversial - i dont get it?!?
> If you postulate some conspiracy to make everybody use systemd then I do
> not think that there is much more that we can argue about.
> But even then, if this alleged pressure has been strong enough to make
> every non-kooky distribution adopt systemd then it should be obvious
> that resisting it would be futile for us as well.

I am not saying its a conspiracy. I dont understand the hurry - For me systemd
came from behind the couch 24 months ago and suddenly its the best invention
since sliced bread. I am just courious about any integral part of my system
beeing rewritten in a revolutionary way and people beeing very loud about it
beeing the best thing ever happened.

Its the same with people telling me their hash has no collisions or their
crypto is unbreakable - Curiosity should apply to all technical decisions
and i say this has not been done with systemd. Nobody thought of the consequences
it causes using all those little bells and whistles systemd brought with it.
As we discovered the last months its basically impossible already to dissect
systemd from any debian system. You end up with a handful of systemd-<foo>
daemons doings thing like presenting the hostname via DBUS (WTF?) and stuff.

I dont like this trend - systemd already mixes beeing pid 1 and beeing an
aglomerated blob of nearly ANY low level functionality any unix system needs like
syslog, timekeeping etc.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 f@zz.de