Re: Re-Proposal - preserve freedom of choice of init systems

"Adam D. Barratt" <adam@adam-barratt.org.uk> writes:

> Speaking for no-one other than myself, I _am_ very unhappy that given
> how long the discussion has been rumbling on for, and how much
> opportunity there has been, that anyone thought that two weeks before
> the freeze (which has had a fixed date for nearly a year now) was the
> right time to raise this.

My understanding is that there were plenty of people interested in
seconding this when I originally raised it, but that they don't
habitually read -vote, and that if I'd spammed -{user,devel} or
similar, we could have had the vote earlier in the year.

I entirely agree that we should have voted when I originally suggested
the idea ( natch ;) ), and I'm sorry that I failed to make that happen
when I could have.

I wonder if, in the circumstances, the DPL should use their power
under 4.2.4 to reduce the discussion period to 1 week. I'd be
surprised if anyone is likely to change their view on the desirability
of choice of init system now - as others have pointed out, the
arguments have been rumbling on for a time.

Regards,

Matthew

--
"At least you know where you are with Microsoft."
"True. I just wish I'd brought a paddle."