Re: [SUMMARY] Maximum term for tech ctte members

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 12:08:26PM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Our voting system is designed to handle this case just fine, and the
> only drawback is that it makes the voting slightly more complex
> because project members have to compare two options, and not just
> approve/disapprove one -- but I think that voters can handle this
> additional complexity just fine.

Note that I never said voters cannot handle the complexity. I wanted to
avoid it in the first place, if possible, because it has a cost. From
your mail I conclude that avoiding it is not possible (assuming all
proposed options will receive enough seconds, that is).

> I think that you should propose the option you consider best; I will
> propose 2-R, because I still have a strong preference for that option
> compared to 2-S, 2-R' or 2.

Fair enough.

How about the transitional measure? I think it would be nice to have
uniformity on those. Would you agree to drop the transitional measures,
with the rationale that the CTTE has already have quite a bit of churn?

I now think the above would be appropriate for both 2 and 2-R. To obtain
an equivalent result with 2-S I think the transitional measure should
retroactively trigger a review on January 1st, 2015; which will in turn
cause expiries only on December 31st, 2015.

> However, as I am not sure if it's just me, or if there's wider support
> for 2-R, I will ask the secretary to not automatically accept the
> amendment (as an amendment from the DPL), but instead require it to
> reach the usual number of sponsors.

I can't find the reference right now, but IIRC we've discussed this
during the init system coupling GR and I don't think it's possible: you
are DPL, if you introduce an amendment, it's automatically accepted. I
don't remember if the Secretary acknowledged that interpretation, but
reading of §4.2.1 doesn't seem to leave much room for interpretation.
So you could either ask someone else to propose the amendment, or gather
seconds informally yourself and only propose the amendment when you've
received K of them.

Cheers.
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .