Re: [DRAFT] Maximum term for tech ctte members

On Thursday, November 20, 2014 12:33:28 PM Sam Hartman wrote:
>     Lucas> (Elaborating on the context a bit given the discussion spread
>     Lucas> over some time -- two options have been proposed: - expire
>     Lucas> the 2 most senior members - expire the 2-R most senior
>     Lucas> members, with R the number of resignations over the last 12
>     Lucas> months)
>
>     Lucas> What we want to encourage is, I think, a sane and healthy
>     Lucas> turnover in the TC. Ideally, this would happen automatically:
>     Lucas> members would just resign when they feel that bringing fresh
>     Lucas> manpower is profitable to the TC overall. However, there's a
>     Lucas> number of social reasons why this doesn't work so well.
>     Lucas> which might weaken the TC a bit too much.  With the '2-R'
>     Lucas> schema, I have an additional incentive to resign: if I
>     Lucas> resign, I 'save' someone else more senior than me from
>     Lucas> getting expired.  (And given I'm not so active anymore,
>     Lucas> instead of weakening the TC further, my resignation might
>     Lucas> even reinforce the TC).
>

>     Lucas> The '2-R' schema could even result in an internal TC
>     Lucas> discussion: "OK, the Project wants us to change two
>     Lucas> members. Are there people that feel like resigning now? Or
>     Lucas> should we just fallback to the default of expiring the two
>     Lucas> most senior members?"  I think that if this happened, it
>     Lucas> would be very healthy for the TC.
>
> I think such discussions would be good.
>
> I don't think this conflicts with what  I said about term limits earlier
> this morning.
> While I do think that 4-5 years is a good term length, I do think a lot
> of churn can be bad, and 2-r makes a lot of sense to me for the reason
> you give above.

[responding here because it's the end of the thread right now, not sure where
better]

Given that we've just had significant turnover in th TC, might it not make
sense to have the first term expirations set for a year or two from now?  That
would keep this discussion well separated from any current turmoil and I think
it's reasonably clear that we don't, at the moment, suffer from a lack of
turnover in the TC (which AIUI is the motivation for this).

Scott K