Re: Legitimate exercise of our constitutional decision-making processes [Was, Re: Tentative summary of the amendments]

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 02:51:57PM +0000, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk wrote:
>
> >I don't want to be having this conversation again in a year's time,

> > its replacements for syslog,
> You are not required to replace your syslog daemon, and indeed the
> Debian systemd package does not replace it.
>
> > cron,
> You are not required to replace your cron daemon, and indeed the
> Debian systemd package does not replace it.
>
> > ntpd,
> You are not required to replace your NTP daemon, and indeed the
> Debian systemd package does not replace it.
> Also, systemd-timesyncd is a simple NTP client and cannot replace ntpd
> anyway except for a trivial (but common) use case.
>
> > acpid,
> Systemd does not replace acpid.
>
> Maybe you should try to better understand how systemd actually works
> before deciding that you do not like it. :-)

There are tons of people who think that all the above functionality does
not belong to a init systemd or ecosystem.

The problem starts with naming all of them systemd-foobar.

It might be a psychological problem but still its a problem for many. By not
listening and repeating the above again and again it will not make the resistance
got away. It will push our users, lobbyists and con-systemd devs away.

A lot of the oldtimers (like me) would agree to this which i read in rant about systemd:

  "Why replace pam.d, crond, init, and add complexities like dbus in a single
   package that runs at PID1 when it doesn't need to?

   Because confident young men in a hurry to make their own mark on the
   world have little time for learning the tools or the lessons of the past."

Every time someone tells me about the shiny new features i must think of this.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 f@zz.de