Re: Legitimate exercise of our constitutional decision-making processes [Was, Re: Tentative summary of the amendments]

On 28 October 2014 04:29, Anthony Towns <aj@erisian.com.au> wrote:
> The corresponding question for services versus init systems would be:
>
>  - package "foo" has a .service file upstream, but no init script
>  - Alice packages foo, doesn't write an init script, and uploads it to unstable
>  - it's automatically accepted to unstable
>  - upstart user Bob files a bug requesting an init script, but doesn't
> provide a patch
>  - Alice says "just use systemd" and still doesn't write an init script
>
> with the question being "does release manager Carol stop the package
> from being released"?
>
> AIUI, policy hasn't ever made not having an init script an RC bug

Please, do not confuse the issue again - this is *not* about a package
having init scripts for a particular init system. It is about a
package being able to function at all (even if started manually) when
a particular init system is running as PID 1. That is a completely new
issue that has never been a problem for any software before.

A per the terms of the original GR proposal, not having an init script
for an alternative init system would be a bug with the same severity
as if it affected all users, so somewhere from 'wishlist' to at most
'normal'.
--
Best regards,
    Aigars Mahinovs        mailto:aigarius@debian.org