Re: Tentative summary of the amendments

In the entire systemd conversation, there's hardly been any discussion about non-desktop stuff. Or has there ? I may have missed. I've mentioned this previously in some of the bug reports, maybe do here too.

How are other packagers taking care of it ? There are a lot of server daemons that need some sort of housekeeping. What I can recall immediate are: mysql, open-iscsi, DM multipath etc.. Last feedback (IIRC _not_ from the systemd maintainers) I had on it was to write a shell script, and call it from the systemd unit.

I just checked my mysql server package, and it is not shipping any systemd service file. Is it just a matter of time that they will start shipping ?

Are we reaching out to all affected parties ? An init system touches a lot of other components in an OS, not just the desktop interface to sleep/hibernate/reboot/shutdown.

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 6:32 PM, Aigars Mahinovs <aigarius@gmail.com> wrote:
On 24 October 2014 15:33, Olav Vitters <olav@vitters.nl> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 01:48:33PM +0300, Aigars Mahinovs wrote:
>> No, but we set up requirements that their work must meet before it can
>> enter archive or may end up in a release. That is what the whole of
>> Debian Policy is about.
>
> That is things within the package itself. This is about doing extra
> work. In case you rely on functionality which is only provided by one
> init system, ensure the functionality is also available on other init
> systems.

That is not what is actually required. It is sufficient to handle the
situation when such functionality is not available. That is inside the
package and it has many different uses (different init, no init,
restricted chroot, system in some weird state, API changed, ...). You
can even hide that code behind a command-line option or a
wrapper-script (so you don't have to detect availability of feature
and instead rely on being called with a special option or name when
extra functionality does not exist). No one is forcing you to
implement features into another init system, so that is a strawman.
--
Best regards,
    Aigars Mahinovs        mailto:aigarius@debian.org