Re: Re-Proposal - preserve freedom of choice of init systems

Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:

> and for what exactly? Gnome right now is installable with systemd-shim +
> sysvinit, why can't this GR wait until after release when the dust has
> settled?

because right now when NO work needs to be done is the perfect time to
get this clarified. if we wait until there is a huge amount of work to
be done then it will be impossible (or, at least, declared impossible).

it's generally best to avoid causing damage in the first place than to
cause it and then have to undo it.

and, btw, it's not just about gnome. many other packages, including
xfce, have or are gaining dependencies that could trigger an unwanted
conversion to systemd if the user is not extremely careful - which is
part of the point of this GR...if software like gnome and xfce depend on
systemd then any claims that systemd in jessie is "only the default, the
user can choose something else" are worthless hot air.

> If you don't like upstreams choices, *you* should write patches. Not GRs
> telling other people to do so.

in other words:

    I couldn't be bothered making my packages compliant with debian
    policy. my packages are such special unique snowflakes that policy
    is irrelevant. if you think that's a bug, then you have to supply
    the patches to fix it and not tell other people to do so.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>