Re: DPL candidates: managing the CTTE memberships

Hi Josselin,

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 10:57:59AM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> What is your stance on disruptive members in the committee?

I would prefer TC to work with each other constructively, but I also
recognise that this isn't always possible when it comes to a
controversial decision. One person's disruptive is another's reasonable
concern.

> Do you think it applies to some of the behaviors observed during the
> past year?

I'm going out on a limb here and say that you're commenting about Ian. I
know Ian fairly well, and am convinced that he has the best interests of
the project at heart.

There is a genuine issue around the way the discussion took place, and
the different approaches that members of the committee took, and the
values that different members placed on different aspects of the
decision. However, to then take the step to say that someone was
deliberatley disruptive is worrying for me.

> How do you intend to enforce it if necessary?

For information, I sent a number of private messages to more then one
ctte member over this issue, ranging from personal suggestions to take
a step back to re-considering various actions. I think that this is an
important role of the DPL, and I'd hopefully be able to bring my
personal interations with a wide range of people in Debian to help that.

> Similarly, what is your stance on conflicts of interest in decision
> bodies? This affects the CTTE, but also, the FTP masters, list masters,
> the DPL himself, etc.
> How do you intend to enforce it?

When I was a Councillor, there was the concepts of prejudicial and
non-prejudicial conflicts of interest[0]. The question was if a decision
would have a material effect, or be seen to have a material effect on
the outcome of a decison. Importantly, it's for the individual person to
make that decison.

There must be an understanding that people can, and *should* make
decisions where they are professionally involved, but should also be
able to make decisions which they remove their personal interests. When
someone feels unable to do so, then they should recuse themselves.

I'm sorry for this technical answer, but it's quite difficult to give a
quick yes/no answer to this.

Neil
[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prejudicial_interest