How should we deal with bad maintainers?

Hello Neil & Lucas,

assume that a package maintainer is active but is doing a bad job
regarding our standards (things like ignoring problems in stable, breaking
backwards compatibility for no good reason, not packaging new upstream
versions in unstable, etc) and is not really cooperative (closing bugs
hastily, not responding to help offers).

What shall we do in those situations?

Best case, I'm very motivated and I hijack the package but assume that I'm
just interested in having a working package because it's a dependency of a
package that I use but that I don't care enough to take it over. What are
my options?

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/