Re: The Code of Conduct needs specifics

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 09:25:37AM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> In addition, a list of "do not"s will make people assume that the
> project is in a worse state than it actually is. To paraphrase one
> participant of the CoC BoF during debconf, when the draft CoC was still
> somewhat negative: "I get the feeling, if I read this code of conduct,
> that Debian is a very problematic community with lots of problems."

> I don't want our code of conduct to produce that feeling.

There's been a very strong and quite successful push recently to
convince organisations to adopt codes of conduct so at this point the
usual suggestion for people worrying about it being a sign of problems
is to point people at the list of other organisations doing the same
thing.

The usual reasoning for explicitly enumerating things is the thing
Solveig mentioned about people being (or professing to be) too inept to
realise what appropriate behaviour is.  Personally I do tend to share
some of the concerns about rules lawyering and evasion with that but
it's a reasonable view and I suspect you don't win either way.