To Neil: 2IC

Hi Neil,

In your rebuttal, you are quite critical of the idea of a board.
You raise concerns about the risk of creating a cabal, and about
transparency and democratic accountability.

I fully agree that those concerns are valid ones, and actually even
mentioned them in my platform ("Of course, there is the risk of creating
a cabal, and of reducing transparency. I am absolutely committed to
avoiding that. [...]").

But after reading your rebuttal, I'm quite surprised by your answer to
Sylvestre's question:

On 14/03/14 at 11:24 +0000, Neil McGovern wrote:
> I do find the concept of the 2IC more appealing, I think this is a
> better model, and shall be putting more thought into this if elected.

In my platform, I proposed a process for deciding who is a member of the
board. It might not be perfect and might improve over time, but at least
it's an attempt at being transparent.

On the other hand, you defer the decision about a 2IC until after the
election. First, I find it quite strange that you haven't reached a
decision about something that would have such a high impact on your
term as the DPL. Second, this raises at least the same concerns about
democratic accountability that you mentioned in your rebuttal,
especially if you plan to share all DPL powers with your 2IC.

If we look back at past DPL terms:
- Stefano Zacchiroli: no 2IC
- Steve McIntyre: no 2IC during his first term. Luk Claes as 2IC during
  his second term. This was announced in his platform.
- Sam Hocevar: no 2IC
- Anthony Towns: Steve McIntyre as 2IC. Steve arrived second in the
  election, with a very small margin (6 votes) [1,2]
  [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/04/msg00015.html
  [2] https://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_002

Even if I'm not a big fan of the 2IC concept, I liked the fact that it
was somehow validated by the election, either by being a candidate or by
being announced prior to the election.

Your answer to Sylvestre was 10 days ago. Have you reached a decision
since then about having a 2IC?

Lucas