Re: what should the DFSG apply to?

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 08:40:52AM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> My point is that that GR was highly divisive, and had far-reaching
> repercussions beyond what the original proposers had expected. We have a
> consensus now that everything in Debian should be free, even those parts
> that some don't consider to be "software".  While some parts of the DFSG
> could be interpreted differently when viewed in isolation, as part of
> the Social Contract and with the context it is clear that this is not
> meant.

We do not have a consensus that each of the points of the DFSG is meant to
apply equally to all works in Debian.  I voted for the GR that amended the
SC, and it was never my intent that non-program works be held to the
standard that source must be included in the package.  The current ftp team
policy exceeds the letter of the DFSG, and should be corrected, probably by
a GR to clarify the text.

But I have no idea why this question is being addressed to the DPL
candidates.