Re: [all candidates] delegation

Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> writes:

> However, this topic does raise a question: Knowledge transfer. I might
> be arguing on something marginally related to the vote at hand, but
> anyway, when delegations shift (be it due to burnout, retirement,
> rotation or whatever), we should make it as easy as possible to
> transfer the acquired knowledge from the ex-delegates to the new
> delegates.

Yep, agreed. In some teams, there's the "wizard" role, someone who isn't
all that active anymore, but there's knowledge in his head, and he's
willing to share it. I find this a great way to not loose the knowledge,
while still allowing someone to move on.

> Writing documentation is often seen as a boring, painful task. Yet, it
> is a very important thing to do. So, prospective DPLs, would you see
> as part of the delegation the requirement for outgoing (if possible, I
> know it's not always the case) and incoming delegates an obligation to
> check and update documentation with the latest practices?

I'd encourage it, yes. But would not make it a strict requirement. I
value hands-on training more than written documentation in many cases
(esp. when it comes to using and working with our own tools), and in
that case, if I'd have to choose whether to encourage the aforementioned
wizard role or writing/updating docs, I'd go with the former.

This should also apply to DPL transitions, by the way.