Re: [to all candidates] Accessible software in Debian

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 4:37 AM, Mario Lang <mlang@delysid.org> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> To make a rather complicated and long story short: Accessibility of
> graphical user interfaces in Debian has taken a slight step backward
> with the GNOME 3 rewrite.  Squeeze was more stable regarding this.
[snip]

Slightly off-topic, but since you bring up GNOME 3 as a specific
example of how Debian has regressed in terms of accessibility...how
exactly has GNOME regressed? It still has AFAIK the same set of
accessibility features [1] as it did previously with GNOME 2, and it
is easily accessibly via an icon on the top bar of the shell (you
can't even get rid of it without an extension), and the
gnome-accessibility package is pulled in by a number of other gnome
meta-packages in Debian. Admittedly I myself don't use any of those
features, but I'm curious to know why you consider GNOME 3 not as
accessible as GNOME 2 was (i.e. are they any specific features dropped
in GNOME 3)?

If this is about the fact that upstream has dropped support for non
3d-accelerated machines for use with GNOME, well, I don't think
there's much that can be done about it. We can't force upstream to
care about old hardware, after all. I disagree with the notion that
being accessible means supporting old hardware. FWIW, Linux kernel 3.8
dropped support for i386, so the next stable Debian release is going
to be even less "accessible" for users of ancient hardware.

Regards,
Vincent

[1] https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/a11y.html