Re: Usage of Debian's Money

Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@debian.org> writes:

> On 13/03/13 at 00:57 +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>> 3/ Buy advertising space on various media to recruit new contributors and
>> lead them into our (improved) mentoring infrastructure.
>
> I think that we have other, better ways, to improve the project's
> visibility than to use paid advertising. For example, do cool stuff, and
> get it covered by the press. ;)

Let me disagree a bit here. While it may not apply to all kinds of
press, my impression so far is that waiting for press to happen is a
nice dream. To achieve maximum effect and reach, you have to influence
the press, and just doing cool stuff will not be enough for that. Quite
likely, they won't even realize cool stuff happened, or only when it's
already old news. But even if they do, will they consult us? Will they
paint a correct picture, that does us good?

I would not be so sure, and would rather avoid this whole problem by
delegating the task to OUR press team whom we do trust, and then
persuade the media to use our press team's material, in exchange of some
green bills or virtual coins. Everybody wins.

Mind you, I'm not saying that accidental press is bad - it surely
isn't. All I'm saying is that we can benefit from both.