Re: how informed should a DPL be?

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 09:46:30PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> Recent threads have made me concerned about how well informed some of
> our current DPL nominees are about what is going on within Debian.
>
> My question to the candidates is similar to what I asked in 2010[1]:
> 1. http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2010/03/msg00059.html

Thanks for the question, although you're no longer eligible for the
prize you won back then in my answer [2] :-)

[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2010/03/msg00074.html

> How well informed should a DPL be about the activity of the Debian project?
> Do you feel you are sufficiently informed about the Debian project?
> What might be some deficiencies in your understanding of Debian?
> How would you improve that if you were to be elected?

Being informed about what is going on in the project is fundamental for
the DPL, not only due to the (obvious) importance of being informed, but
also because the mood of people in the project highly depends on the
events they're living. Not being aware of those events might imply
missing the reason why something is happening and provide the wrong
answer / reaction.

But as I observed in [2] time is not infinite, so the DPL should at
least ensure presence on all mailing lists of project wide interest and
encourage others to ping him/her for important events happening
elsewhere.

I've been doing the above, as well as temporarily subscribing to lists
where I felt there was the need to "push" the project a bit, or where I
was aware of some ongoing conflict.

> Same questions for Debian's relationship with the wider free software
> world and with the wider world in general.

Same answer, although I wasn't exactly aware at the time of [2]. The DPL
will get questions about events happening in the Free Software world as
a whole; the more you know about it, the better. It will also be asked
to join this or that initiative larger than Debian, knowing about them,
their track records, and their future plans help a lot in answering to
those questions.

In addition to Debian-specific media and of the other cross-distro
initiatives I've mentioned in [2], I've ended up following attentively
(and even participating in) websites such as LWN, and planets of large
projects that are part of the Debian ecosystem, either as our upstreams
or as derivatives. I also keep an eye on the corresponding -devel
mailing lists, although not as attentively.

Cheers.