Re: Finding sponsors for Debian

Hello,

On 12.03.2012 19:25, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 03:16:42AM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> Over the years, I've always been very surprised to see that
>> there's very little money that Debian is able to get. I'm
>> convinced that this situation could change with a bit of
>> involvement from the DPL, and that such money could help a lot
>> the project. For example, sending open letters to big companies,
>> and letting them know that we do accept monetary contributions
>> could help.
>
> Let me start by observing the obvious: attracting money is not a
> goal per se; Putting them into good use for Debian is. According to
> my DPL experience, we have two main chapters in Debian budget:
> travel sponsoring and hardware replacement.

(cc:-ing -project as that's a more general discussion not directly
directed to DPL candidates but related. Maybe follow-ups should be
sent there)

as somebody who pushed $work to donate money to Debian (i.e. via
FFIS), I always wondered about the financial merits of these
donations. As much as I am involved to work within Debian, I have no
clue what you used "our" money for. I am probably not literally
interested what for you spent the money we donated, but I think
sponsors would appreciate or be more interested to donate if they
could see in a more popular advertisement what Debian spends money for
(i.e. something more handsome than SPI board minutes) and possibly
getting little "thank you" post cards or some merchandise (e.g. a
coffee mug or a T-Shirt) as a symbolic acknowledgement of gratidude.

Actually, $boss asked me the other day how to support Debian better as
he wasn't very convinced about usefulness of money donations to Debian
as he didn't get much feedback about that, other than a tax deductable
receipt.

- --
with kind regards,
Arno Töll