Re: Comments on the constitution?

Hi,

Am Montag, den 29.08.2011, 10:17 +0200 schrieb Stefano Zacchiroli:
> At present, I don't have any bright idea on how to implement the "not
> socially awkward" part preserving full transparency. A possibility might
> be to allow a given number of DDs to request in private a mid-term
> election to the secretary. But that clearly trades-off transparency for
> social un-awkward-ness. IMHO it would match the spirit of the current
> Constitution provision that DPL votes are secret, but YMMV. It would
> also possibly increase the level of trust we put in the Secretary.

Obviously, it is not a problem for a DPL to call for a re-election, as
in „I’d be willing to serve another year, but I want to reaffirm that I
have the projects backing“. So the only problem is allowing the DD body
to call for an election.

How about reversing the action: By default, there is an election, unless
a reasonable, well-defined number of DD publicly state that they see no
need for a re-election.

Either, there are people willing to do that. Then not all is bad with
the current DPL and it is ok to assume that the project is happy with
the current DPL. Stating support for the current DPL is not socially
awkward (after all, we are carrying him on chairs occasionally).

Or, nobody stands up. Not doing something is not totally socially
awkward, but yet a clear vote that the project might be happier with
another election. A few close, personal friends might  want to state
their support in order to not burden their personal relationship, hence
the number required should be sufficiently higher to allow them to do
so.

I think this works well unless we have the case of a strongly polarizing
DPL, with a large number of supporters and possibly more opponents. But
I don’t think this is a real issue: The DPL was elected, and it is
normal in a democracy that you cannot change your mind about your votes
during a regular term. In the worst case, a GR can cause an immediate
re-election (If I read the constitution correctly).

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner