Re: Questions for all candidates: decentralization of power

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 12:46:44AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Dear Clint,
>
> I also think that there are many restricted operations that should be opened.
> Write access to our website, chosing the priority and section of our pacakges,
> triggering bin-NMUs, designating new members, inspecting new packages submitted
> to our archive, ???

You do get to choose the priority and section which your packages belong
to, though the ftp team can override your choice.  When we do override
your choice, you get an email inviting discussion about it.  I can't
think of any instance where the ftp team and maintainers haven't been
able to come to an agreement about where the packages belong.  The
alternative option, where DDs are given write access to the dak database
doesn't seem worth the security issues for the small benefit(?) of
avoiding having this discussion with the ftp team.

Inspecting new packages which haven't cleared NEW has potential legal
problems.  We don't want to be in the position where we are distributing
software that might not be legal for us to distribute.  Our trend has
been to increase the amount of info about the packages we make available
on http://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html (currently down), but we have
to stop short of potentially illegally distributing software.  For
people that want to help with the process of auditing packages in NEW,
The ftp team is looking for new members, our most recent solicitation
being here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/03/msg00003.html

stew