Re: Q for all candidates: license and copyright requirements

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 08:27:43 +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:

Salut Charles,

> Our users, if they want to modify, study, redistribute or use after rebuild our
                             ^^^^^^
> system, need the source. At no moment these operations involve modifying a RFC
                              ^^                                 ^^^^^^^^^

The marked spots above seem to be a contradiction to me.

> or a binary program that is aimed at run on a Windows system. I conclude that
> that kind of file, although present in our source packages, are not part of the
> source of our operating system.

JFTR: Like some others I disagree on this point of view.

IMO "Debian, the distribution" consists equally of binary and source
packages, so if a package wants to be considered free as defined by
the DFSG there must not be any non-free parts neither in the binary
nor in the source package.

Cheers,
gregor

--
 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG Key IDs: 0x8649AA06, 0x00F3CFE4
   `-    NP: Peter Ratzenbeck: Recycling Rag