Re: Q for all candidates: license and copyright requirements

Le Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 07:45:30PM +0100, Bernd Zeimetz a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> with <20100124144741.GD13468@kunpuu.plessy.org> Charles Plessy came up with a
> draft GR "Simplification of license and copyright requirements for the Debian
> packages.".
>
> I'd like to know from Charles Plessy if the draft from January still reflect his
> current opinion or if his mind changed.

Dear Bernd,

my current opinion is reflected by <20100207153515.GA20223@kunpuu.plessy.org>,
in which I clarified my proposal according to the first round of comments.

In summary:

 1) For the reproduction of copyright notices, let's do what law and licenses
    require from us, and not more.

 2) I think that the Debian operating system is defined by the interaction of
    its binary version and the source files necessary to use, study, modifiy and
    redistribute it. Non-DFSG-free files that happen to be codistributed with the
    source of the Debian operating system but have no function at all are not part
    of the system, and I would like maintainers to be allowed to keep these files
    in the original upstream material if it simplifies their work.

Lastly, I am not sure if I will ask sponsors for this GR, as I wrote:

  ‘A GR that is accepted by a large majority is not necessarly a waste of time,
  because it dissipates misunderstantings that can arise with tacite agreements.
  But yes, there are alternatives, like electing a DPL that supports this change
  in his platform.’

So I am definitely interested to read the opinion of the other candidates :)

Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan