Re: Q for all candidates: license and copyright requirements

Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> writes:

> On the contrary, I'm against point (2) of the GR. I do consider our
> source packages to be part of Debian and hence subject to DFSG. If
> something in upstream tarball is non-free, I believe we should do
> repacking (there, we might use a bit more standardization on how we
> implement get-orig-source in such cases, but that's a different
> issue). In fact, doing that might even be a way to push our upstream to
> get rid of those non-free bits from their tarballs as well.

In my experience, it definitely is.  It can cause some upstream grumbling,
but for example the next major version of OpenAFS will be usable without
repacking (although I may end up still repacking to delete the very large
WINNT directory that isn't used in the Debian build).