Re: Q for all candidates: license and copyright requirements

Hi Marga,

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 02:45:11PM -0300, Margarita Manterola wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 3:45 PM, Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> wrote:
>
> > with <20100124144741.GD13468@kunpuu.plessy.org> Charles Plessy came up with a
> > draft GR "Simplification of license and copyright requirements for the Debian
> > packages.".
> >
> > I'd like to know from Charles Plessy if the draft from January still reflect his
> > current opinion or if his mind changed.
> > From the other candidates I'd like to know their opinion and plans (if there are
> > any) about license/copyright requirements in Debian.
>
> I agree with zack that this is not a decision that the DPL should
> take.  It's a decision that should be done through a GR, that the DPL
> can support or not, but I hope that Charles knows that even if he won,
> it wouldn't mean that it'd be ok to change such policy without a GR
> (or, at least, another form of consensus on this matter).
>
> Regarding the proposal itself, I'm not sure I see how much we would be
> gaining by not mentioning the copyright holder or reproducing the
> copyright notice.  We would still have to analyze whether the license
> requires the copyright notice, the copyright holder, or both.  In that
> case, I think it's simpler to keep with what we have, but I don't have
> too strong a position about this.
>
> Regarding software in the source packages, I do believe that "The
> Debian System" is both the binary and the source packages, and as such
> we shouldn't distribute non-free stuff, either in the binary or in the
> source packages.

If I understand you correctly, you dissociate yourself from Charles's
POV about what's part of Debian and thus what needs to be free according
to DFSG. In another thread you said all other candidates are above NOTA
for you.

After reading a few very strong opinions about what Charles said earlier
wrt source and binary packages, I suppose some of them (and maybe
others) might find that a bit contradicting. Actually that's how I read
KiBi's last mail in the "Who would you vote for" thread.

Would you mind commenting on that?

Hauke