Re: Q for the Candidates: How many users?

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 09:47:17AM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
> JFTR, I don't think that "a quick and easy poll" is always a
> sufficient way to resolve issues. I think one of the strength of
> Debian is that we try to analyze the situation before we do a
> decision.

I absolutely agree. On one hand, that is why I've mentioned a poll and
not a GR. More importantly, there are some technical decisions that
ultimately arrive at an aut-aut choice, e.g. the choice of a default
value which is changeable by the user anyhow. I believe the case
discussed in the post you followed-up to is one of them. As other
choices of default values, what we've discussed reminds me very much of
when we switched from "nvi" to "vim-tiny" in the base system [1] (one of
the few cases in which we did use a poll, FWIW).

The whole point of a poll is to give a non-binding representation of
opinions in some aut-aut choices; such a representation can ultimately
be even ignored, but at least we will make it visible.

Hope this clarifies,
Cheers.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/12/msg00796.html