Re: Will you withdraw delegations of DD not behaving correctly?

Le Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 08:13:23AM +0100, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :

> What do you think of this and would you be ready to withdraw a delegation
> for a delegate that behaved badly towards another DD (even outside of his
> delegated role), that has been warned once by you and that did it again
> later on?
>
> Do you think we can draft a code of conduct for Debian and do you think
> you can ensure that it would be respected by delegates?

Dear Raphaël,

the role of many delegates is to lead a team, and as such they need good social
skills. Biting back people who criticize their work is not a good way to defend
their team. In contrary, it turns down contributors and isolates it.

I would like to add that aggression is not the only bad behaviour. Refusing
answers is also a way to demotivate and put aside people. I think that the role
of a delegate is to communicate even with the developers he does not want to
work with. (If some people abuse the delegate's time with repetitive requests,
that is another story).

If a delegate repeatedly misbehaves or fail to communicate, I will ask him to
step down in a mid/short term, ideally at the opportunity of a notable
achievement. I think that it is important to leave to people a possibility to
save the face, expecially with on-line projects like Debian that leave a
permanent trace in the Internet search engines. Changing a delegate should not
be a personal punishment, but a way to get things done better in Debian, so
despite that “we will not hide problems”, I will not have the discussion with
the badly behaving delegate in public (but perhaps on debian-private@l.d.o if I
have the feeling that the Project is expecting it).

Lastly, I do not think that we need a code of conduct. I am worried that it
would generate too much meta-discussion. I think that it it enough to remind
newcomers that when we do not know personnaly the recipient of our messages,
there is a high risk that anything too causal will be misinterpreted.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan