Re: GR proposal: Do not require listing of copyright holders

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 16:09:43 +0000
Sam Kuper <sam.kuper@uclmail.net> wrote:

> 2009/3/22 Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>
>
> > And should anyone appreciate the fact that FTP masters are wasting
> > valuable developer time and putting pressure on people to the point
> > they resign from maintaining critical packages?
>
> Anyhow, let's not throw the baby (the legal right to use Debian
> software) out with the bathwater (a perhaps non-optimally managed
> legal requirement to maintain package licenses).

To be honest I think when it comes to copyright issue ftpmaster has the
final say because they *personally* are the ones legally on the hook if
something is wrong.  If I were an ftpmaster and thought I could get
sued if I obeyed a GR, I would resign from the ftp team, and presumably
you could lose the team that way, if it were over something that could
cause legal action.

If it's not yet clear what is required, then clear that up first,
already.  I don't care if someone won't do maintenance if they can't
maintain according the legal standards that could cause ftpmaster
*personal* legal trouble.

Regards,

Daniel
--
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore