Re: GR proposal: Do not require listing of copyright holders

2009/3/22 Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>
And should anyone appreciate the fact that FTP masters are wasting
valuable developer time and putting pressure on people to the point they
resign from maintaining critical packages?

If that pressure stems from a concern that without proper license information, Debian users/developers/etc could face legal action, then I, for one, as a Debian user, appreciate it.

Perhaps, if maintaining the license information is something that some package maintainers are not enjoying, those package maintainers should seek partnerships with people who would take more pleasure in maintaining the packages' license information. Just a thought.

I admit I haven't been following this debate very closely, however, so if I've got the wrong end of the stick, please understand.

Anyhow, let's not throw the baby (the legal right to use Debian software) out with the bathwater (a perhaps non-optimally managed legal requirement to maintain package licenses).