Re: Question for all candidates: inter-dependancy of works the growing Debian project.

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 01:20:35PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
>Hi,

Hi Charles,

>Although I am not yet a DD, as it can happen anytime before or after the
>elections, I would like to ask a question to the candidates.
>
>Debian is growing bigger everyday. I would like to know if you think
>that it should adapt to its new size, and if yes, how can you help this
>process as a DPL.

I believe that Debian is already adapting to its new size. More and
more of our packages are being maintained by teams, for example, and
we have more people working in the release team to help try and pull
it all together. There's more that we can do yet, of course:
encouraging new contributors to help with existing packages rather
than just their new pet project; being more aggressive about removing
old cruft; developing new and better ways to deal with a larger and
larger collection of software. There are also places where some teams
may need to grow further to cope better with the demands of a larger
Debian. The DPL can help in some of these cases, mainly by encouraging
people working on them already. Maybe extra resources can be brought
in, or extra people.

>In particular, I would like to know what you think about how the work of
>each DDs and teams are tied, and if the ties should get stronger or
>looser. Debian offers a lot of features, in particular security support,
>stable releases, and portage on multiple architectures. For some of
>them, alternatives exist: for instance in some conditions, the preferred
>way to distribute a package will be through the debian volatile project
>rather than through the stable releases.
>
>Can we imagine a more componentised Debian distribution, in which it
>would be the common responsability of the packagers and the service
>managers to opt in or opt out the use of each services by Debian
>packages (or preferably groups of them)? If yes, how would you define
>the role of the DPL in implusing these changes?

To be honest, I don't see much of a future for Debian itself being
split up into "components", at least not where components are much
larger than the natural split we already have (i.e. individual
packages). In my opinion, one of our biggest strengths is the fact
that we have a very well integrated operating system with consistent
policies and packaging guidelines. For groups that want to focus their
own efforts on subsets of that whole, CDDs and derived distributions
seem to be a great way of achieving that.

Does that answer your question(s) OK?

  Armed with "Valor": "Centurion" represents quality of Discipline,
  Honor, Integrity and Loyalty. Now you don't have to be a Caesar to
  concord the digital world while feeling safe and proud.