Re: Debian Project Leader Elections 2008: Marc Brockschmidt

Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org> wrote [on not campaigning during
nominations]:
> [...] However, I don't agree with you that campaining at any
> other time would violate the consitution.  See below.

I never claimed that it would violate the constitution.  It's clearly
not covered.  However, there are claims like the limit is a convention
and "a convention *is* proper for this kind of thing. The fact that it
is not totally respected is, IMO, not a problem, since it usually is."
-- Wouter Verhelst
http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2007/08/msg00123.html

That's no longer true, even if it used to be.  Campaigning usually
happens before and after the campaign time.  I think we should either:-
- take advantage of what really happens and shorten the election, or
- establish the convention on campaign time limits.

[...]
> That is, IMO we should solve hypothetical social problems by saying
> "we'll solve them reasonably when they are a real issue."  [...]

This isn't hypothetical.  Campaigning has started early for four of
the last five elections IIRC.

> > The benefit would be less time spent on the election, so available for
> > other work.
>
> I think this is not a real issue.  Do you feel we lose volunteer time
> because people are campaining during the year?

Well, for example, Marc Brockschmidt has spent time writing a
platform, canvassing and campaigning, which he suggested he would not
have done if an acceptable candidate had already nominated.  If an
acceptable candidate is nominated now, we've lost that time.  We could
try to save that sort of time by rewarding early nominations with more
campaigning opportunities, by officially killing the convention
against campaigning during nominations.

Hope that explains,