Re: Debian Project Leader Elections 2008: Marc Brockschmidt

On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 12:57:23PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 09:22:19PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> > > Campaigning on debian-vote *and* canvassing for help?  Is this really
> > > what aj meant by "summarise their plans for their term"?
> >
> > No, this is just answering a question.  Do you suggest that he should
> > have delayed the answer until campaining would be allowed?
>
> Yes.  Candidates should be organised enough to defer a task a few days.

Oh yes, it's not a matter of being unable to do this.  I just don't see
much point to it.  If it's only to follow the letter of the consitution,
then appearantly the constitution is wrong.  You seem to agree with me
on that. :-)  However, I don't agree with you that campaining at any
other time would violate the consitution.  See below.

> > I don't really remember the exact periods, and what is supposed to
> > happen when.  (And I don't care enough to look it up.)  What is the
> > reason we would want a campainless period during nominations?  I don't
> > really see any benefit.  [...]
>
> I want a limit on the election campaign time to try to limit the
> inevitable politicking from spilling over into more of the year.

I did look it up now.  In 5.2 the only thing that it says is 5.2.4: "...
candidates should use this time for campaigning and discussion. ..."  It
doesn't say that campaining is forbidden at any other time.

This means that (if I understand you correctly) you are wrong that
campaining during the nomination period is currently forbidden, but you
are right that campaining during the rest of the year is allowed.  I
agree with you that we don't want this to lead to national politics type
stuff we see in many nations.  However, I think we don't need to create
our own problems: we don't have that problem (or at least I don't see
it), so there's no need to forbid it.  More rules only invite people to
start complaining, which leads to much less productivity.

That is, IMO we should solve hypothetical social problems by saying
"we'll solve them reasonably when they are a real issue."  If talking
doesn't help, we can start making real rules then.  Only if the current
rules contradict with what we want, should we change them.  Not if they
aren't very specific.

> The benefit would be less time spent on the election, so available for
> other work.

I think this is not a real issue.  Do you feel we lose volunteer time
because people are campaining during the year?

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html