Re: First call for votes for the Lenny release GR

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 04:36:59PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> if a majority of voters vote that we should put
> Nvidia drivers in main, then your fundamental problem is that you have a
> majority of people (or at least, voters) in Debian who think it's ok to put
> Nvidia drivers in main.  Your only real choices, then, are to persuade them
> that they're wrong, live with it, drive them off, or leave.
>
> The other option you're proposing here, to prevent them from doing what they
> want to unless they have a 3:1 majority, reduces to "coerce the majority to
> do what you say they should do, even though they don't think you're right".
>
> Do you really think that's a solution to the above pathological scenario?

In my eyes, this argument applies to any situation where a supermajority might
be formally required, and in my opinion the corollary is that supermajorities
are a bad idea in general.

Do you agree with that corollary?  If not, why not?

--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho, Jyväskylä, Finland
http://antti-juhani.kaijanaho.fi/newblog/