Re: First call for votes for the Lenny release GR

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         I do not think I meant proposed as in formal proposals to be
>  voted upon. I meant splitting up votes for the same issue which leads
>  to the results being gamed.

 This is an hypothetical case you're making; most people think the
 issues are orthogonal.

 We can discuss various ways our voting system can be gamed; I'm
 concerned by the way it just was.

>         Say, for example, we do split up the votes. And the winning
>  options of different votes contradict. Which takes precedence? If it is
>  the latest vote, which vote is voted upon last? Can I withsraw an
>  option, and put it to vote at the very end, to get an edge?

 People can try gaming each vote or a group of votes or the voting
 system; we'll see on a case by case basis.

>         Why is having an omnibus vote now, and a vote on option #4 and
>  option #6 in January any worse than arbitarily splitting votes? (We
>  could stipulate that actions on the january votes apply only after
>  lenny releases, to prevent people trying to game the lenny release).

 I don't think proposing a change to the proposed resolutions (that
 they'd apply after lenny) has anything to do with the fact that we vote
 on them separately or on a single ballot.

 One reason it's worse is that we will effectively take only one
 decision instead of at least 3 or 4.

--
Loïc Minier