Re: First call for votes for the Lenny release GR

Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org> writes:
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 01:44:49PM -0200, Margarita Manterola wrote:

>> Who will be in charge of stating what complies and what doesn't
>> comply?

> As usual, everyone judges on his/her own, and the technical committee
> (or a GR) is needed to override a DD's decision.

I don't believe the constitution gives the TC any say over licensing
issues unless a DD delegates the decision to the TC.  Licensing is not a
technical decision.  Instead, this would follow the delegate override
path.

> Proposal 5 means, as I wrote above, that those bug reports are only a
> guess, and that we should not block our release as long as nothing is
> proven.  If I understand the release team right, this is their position
> as well, which is why they claim that placing those lenny-ignore tags
> was within their power (and with this argument, they are correct IMO).

I believe the position of at least some of the release team is that the
secretary's interpretation of the DFSG is incorrect and the requirement in
the DFSG that source be available does not apply to firmware blobs on the
grounds that they're not software in the way in which the DFSG intends.
(This is, obviously, not a position that everyone agrees with.)

Choice 6 I believe was intended to make that interpretation of the
existing DFSG the project's position as a position statement, but the
secretary did not believe such a thing should be possible and instead
turned it into an amendment to the DFSG.

Personally, I'm voting 6 highest anyway because I think amending the DFSG
to make it completely unambiguous that we're not going to apply it to
firmware is an even better choice than making a project statement about
what it means.  It removes all doubt and quibbling forever going forward,
which seems like a major win.  It's a shame that the vote was handled in
the way that it was, but I expect we'll be able to sort out something
reasonable to put into the DFSG if it passes.