Re: call for seconds: on firmware

On Tue, Nov 18 2008, Martin Wuertele wrote:

> * Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi> [2008-11-17 19:31]:
>
>> (Quote attribution elided on purpose.)
>> > Stop your FUD.
>> >
>> > The Release Team isn't violating the Social Contract.
>>
>> It is my opinion that releasing lenny with known DFSG violations is a
>> violation of the Social Contract, on the part of the project as a whole,
>> regardless of which individuals are making the decisions.
>
> Did you ever read SC #4? It's a violation of the SC to not provide our
> users with a usable system.

        I do not think you have read 4 and 5 together.

 4. Our priorities are our users and free software

    We will be guided by the needs of our users and the free software
    community. We will place their interests first in our priorities. We
    will support the needs of our users for operation in many different
    kinds of computing environments. We will not object to non-free
    works that are intended to be used on Debian systems, or attempt to
    charge a fee to people who create or use such works. We will allow
    others to create distributions containing both the Debian system and
    other works, without any fee from us. In furtherance of these goals,
    we will provide an integrated system of high-quality materials with
    no legal restrictions that would prevent such uses of the system.

 5. Works that do not meet our free software standards

    We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of works that
    do not conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. We have
    created `contrib' and `non-free' areas in our archive for these
    works. The packages in these areas are not part of the Debian
    system, although they have been configured for use with Debian. We
    encourage CD manufacturers to read the licenses of the packages in
    these areas and determine if they can distribute the packages on
    their CDs. Thus, although non-free works are not a part of Debian,
    we support their use and provide infrastructure for non-free
    packages (such as our bug tracking system and mailing lists).

        So, SC says we know our users might need non-free crap, and we
 shall give it to them, in  `contrib' and `non-free' areas in our
 archive.

        Frankly, the fact you totally ignore §5 weakens your argument.

        manoj

--
"Unibus timeout fatal trap program lost sorry" An error message printed
by DEC's RSTS operating system for the PDP-11