Re: Call for seconds: DFSG violations in Lenny

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 08:36:06PM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> > (Also, isn't "we allow sourceless firmware ... as long as the license
> > complies with the DFSG" a no-op?)
>
> The license for a sourceless blob can be GPL or BSD, which are licenses
> that comply with the DFSG, or it could be any sort of non-free license
> (including lack of license).  Of course, the code itself wouldn't comply
> with DFSG #2, but the license would.
>
> Anyway, this specific text is already tested and "known to work" so I think
> this proves it is solid :-)

Though, if the "as long as the license complies with the DFSG" doesn't really
have any effect (other than what's already covered by "we are legally allowed
to do so"), I think it is confusing and shouldn't be in the text.

I propose the following alternatative to "Option 2" (removes last sentence):

Option 2 (allow Lenny to release with propietary firmware)

   1. We affirm that our Priorities are our users and the free software
      community (Social Contract #4);

   2. We acknowledge that there is a lot of progress in the kernel firmware
      issue; however, it is not yet finally sorted out;

   3. We assure the community that there will be no regressions in the progress
      made for freedom in the kernel distributed by Debian relative to the Etch
      release in Lenny

   4. We give priority to the timely release of Lenny over sorting every bit
      out; for this reason, we will treat removal of sourceless firmware as a
      best-effort process, and deliver firmware in udebs as long as it is
      necessary for installation (like all udebs), and firmware included in
      the kernel itself as part of Debian Lenny, as long as we are legally
      allowed to do so.

(Since this option overrides the SC, I believe it would require 3:1 majority)

--
Robert Millan